As the owner of the Aliso Laguna Family Dental Care facility in Laguna Hills, California, I have experience with many different types of oral health issues. Several common mouth-related conditions can be prevented by the maintenance of daily dental habits, while some oral issues are contracted through external factors. I have compiled a list of some of the most general problems associated with oral hygiene.
1. Canker Sores. These blisters usually form on the inside of an individual’s lips or cheeks, and they can be offset by a change in hormone balance, stress level, or vitamin deficiency. Many over-the-counter medications exist to fight the discomfort caused by this condition.
2. Temporomandibular Joint syndrome (TMJ). A disorder of the jaw, TMJ can cause a painful reaction in an individual’s face, ears, neck, or jaw. Some known causes of TMJ include tooth grinding or mouth-related injuries, and treatment of this condition often involves surgery or the use of medication.
3. Gingivitis. Known as periodontal disease, this medical condition occurs when plaque forms on the surface of a person’s tooth and contributes to an inflammation of their gums. Twice daily brushing and once daily flossing can prevent this disease.
4. Cavities. This type of condition, which is known in the medical world as dental caries, is a product of residual tooth decay. Cavities are holes or imperfections in teeth that cause sensitivity, mild to intense pain, or a moderate achy feeling.
5. Bad Breath. While this can be a sign of a more serious oral health condition, bad breath is caused by the build-up of bacteria in the mouth. Daily brushing and the use of mouthwash can fight this issue. While regular dental hygiene can fight off some of the common conditions, others present problems that should be identified and treated by a professional dentist.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call (949)448-7500, or visit us at 27051 Moulton Parkway, Laguna Hills, CA 92656.